Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Big Island Adventures


            Savaii has a lot of cool sites to see. I have a checklist of the things I would like to do and see just on Savaii alone over these next two years.

1.      See the sunset from Falealupo…check
2.      Alofaaga Blow Holes
3.      Dwarf  Caves…check
4.      Nuu Black Sand Beach
5.      Afu Aau Waterfall
6.       Go hiking
7.      Bike around the whole Island
8.      Scuba certification….check off next week
9.      Visit all the 83 PCV’s on the Island and their villages
a.      Olivia…check
b.      Mikaele…check
c.       Tevi
d.      Sara
e.       Nancy
f.        Lopati
g.      Pat

10.  Sinaloa Waterfall

I’m sure more attractions will be added….

So I already wrote about my spending New Years in Falealupo and seeing the last sunset of 2010 and how wonderful it was.

I must tell you all about the Dwarf Cave a couple of us went to on Saturday.

So the legend goes something along the lines of a man discovering dwarfs that lived in a cave. He would keep their existence a secret only if they built him a house. So they did in one night. People became suspicious which led to the man asking for more buildings eventually ending up with a whole village. The people wouldn’t not believe that the man did it all himself and finally annoyed him enough to tell them about the dwarfs. As soon as the dwarfs found out they ran to their cave a barricaded the hole so no one could ever see them again.

The trip to the cave was not what I thought it was going to be. I convinced my friends that it was a short walk to the site, knowing full well I had no idea how long of a walk it would be. It ended up being about a hour long walk, uphill in muddy/manure filled paths. Totally worth it! Once you get to the cave it looks like a big hole in the ground. You have to climb into and down a bunch of rocks. Once you are away from the opening than it is pitch black. Each person should have their own flashlight; we made the mistake of only bring two. Actually the pencil sized one doesn’t really count as a flash light, more like a lazar pointer. We ventured to both ends of the cave. One led us into a dead end up piled up rocks, the other led us to a small drop into a pool of water. It looked as though there was more on the other side of the pool but we weren’t sure how deep the water was and how we could get back up. Our tour guides were 10 year old Samoan boys whose only job was to hold the flashlights. We made the decision to stay put and not test the waters. I definitely plan on going back and taking the other volunteers who have not been. The pictures didn’t come out so well, just picture “The Goonies” but take away the traps and dead bodies.

Update of the village life…

I finished making and hanging the curtains in my house. I have put up a couple different art pieces that I created. I am hoping to shelves or some sort of storage for my books and things. I finally have a working stove. It is a gas one and I already lit the table it sits on on fire; not my fault, the cable wasn’t screwed in all the way. I blame it on the installer, aka my host brother. Nothing was severely damaged, don’t worry.

Mostly I am just hanging around the village, perfecting the art of Kafau. School starts in 2 weeks! Next week a group of us are getting certified in Scuba Diving, so I am looking forward to that!

Shout out to my Mom <3

I got some letters!
Thank you to....

Auntie Trish
Brittany Freeman...Congrats to the newlyweds!
Putrino Family...LOVE MY HEADBAND
Kathleen Foerster <3
and Holy Family 5th grade class

thanks for the love everyone.....keep them coming










No comments:

Post a Comment