Thursday, January 6, 2011

The S Factor

           
                   “Its too hard”….this was the response I received from the girl behind the counter at a local ice cream place when I asked for a certain flavor that was close to being empty. Now, there was definitely enough for one maybe even two cones. I thought that they would appreciate this because then they would be able to replace it with a new flavor, but no…it would just take way to much effort to scoop the bottom of the bucket. What is even more humorous was my immediate response, to look for a different flavor. I wasn’t annoyed or pissed off; I accepted her answer without thinking twice and went for the triple chocolate instead. It wasn’t until about ten minutes later that we realized what she said. One of the girls brought it up and wondered what would happen if this happened in America, we all came to the conclusion that it just wouldn’t and just laughed the rest of the time enjoying our ice cream. This is just one of the many examples of the S factor.
                   After being here for three months responses like “it’s too hard”, “11 maybe 12 or 1” and “not now I’m busy” are acceptable responses. My favorite is “not now, I’m busy”. In this case, “not now” isn’t referring to this very moment, it covers anywhere from one day to a month. The big mystery always seems to be what they are so busily doing.
“When is the fia fia going to start?”
“Maybe 7 or 8 or maybe 9”
                   When it comes to any event in Samoa, I just wait for someone in the family to come get me, whether its church, a party, or dinner. There seems to be no real concept of time. I was waiting for a bus to get to Faleolupo for New Years. There is only one bus that comes through that will go to that side of the island. When is it coming? maybe noon or maybe two. That is a big gap of time and I was a little nervous it may not come at all. It didn’t, and my host brother was kind enough to take me. I am sure you all are wondering if there is anyone to call or a schedule of times. If you are wondering this than consider me just laughing at you right now. There is no bus headquarters, each bus is owned by a different family on the Island. The schedule usually runs around the boats, but there are no exact times. One day I sat waiting for a bus that usually come around eleven, didn’t show up until half past noon. I wonder how much time I will spend this next two years just waiting….
New Years was amazing. Faleolupo is a small village on the far west side of Savaii. It is also the last place you can see the sunset on the Earth. It was a bit cloudy but it was still a sight and we all felt a little special watching the last sunset of the year. I was lucky to spend the weekend with my closest friends in such a beautiful place. At the end of the weekend the s factor came into play again when everyone was trying to figure out when the boats were leaving and if there were buses. Each person heard something different.
…..maybe boats but no buses, maybe only one boat today or no boats…
Lets stay until Monday….
but Monday is a holiday soo I think maybe there will be no boats or buses
Needless to say everyone got where they needed to be on Sunday, so it all worked out in the end. I think that after these two years our patience levels will be extremely high. I find myself a very patient person, however, there is one moment that I can’t stand more than anything. When this moment happens, it’s like a dark cloud hovers over me and gives me the feeling of rage and wanting to punch someone. It’s a problem that could be so easily fixed by some rope and signs and posts. The unbearable moment I am referring to is waiting to get a ticket for the ferry. I don’t say waiting in line because that concept is obviously foreign here. It is just a huge crowd of people waiting in front of one window. People push through one another and it doesn’t matter who was first, if your strong enough to get through the mess to make it through to the front than you have earned your spot. It is also the one time I don’t see Samoan hospitality come into play. You are on your own for this battle, you gotta put your gloves on and get in that boxing ring no matter how crowded it is. Yes you can wait until everyone leaves but you may be sacrificing a seat on the inside of the boat, and just remember you meet the monster again when going to the coffee stand on the boat. First lesson when school starts….using the concept of lines in everyday life.

Update on packages: Still not here
Good luck with all your New Years resolutions…..

Last Sunset of 2010

Chris and Rivka contemplating their NY resolutions

The three amigos

2 comments:

  1. so glad i got to talk to you for some long last night. I miss you so much. Stay safe!
    -Tay Tay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it comes from people always doing for them instead of teaching them to do for themselves. I am sure since you are there now that concept may start being taught! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete