Tuesday, October 19, 2010

sorry for the delay...

I am very relaxed right now, seeing that I am writing this post from the pool with no one around. Quiet time here is not common so hopefully I will have enough of it to finish this post you all have been longing for. I am a very busy person here people!
So nothing to interesting happened to me at the end of last week, nothing worth telling you all that’s for sure, until Friday night. Fia Fia night! Group 81 and 82 put a nice little party on for us with some dances and my favorite part…fire dancers!!! It was a great bonding moment for all of us and we enjoyed meeting all of the volunteers. The fia fia continued on over to a bar just down the road and from there it was just a bunch of palagis doing what palagis do best.
Palagi= white/foreign people J
Saturday was a very lazy day for all of us…us girls decided to do a True Blood marathon. We were even joined by some fellow male pcv’s even though they may not fess up to it. Vampire Bill has us all addicted.
Saturday night was a fun night of group bonding with some vailima and chatting on the balcony.
The week is back and it’s full of long days with mini presentations and some not so mini presentations. The language classes are starting to help, but it will be a long while until I feel comfortable with it. The more we talk about our classrooms and students the more excited I get. Ideas are just constantly flowing through my head and I want to implement them now before I forget!!!
I don’t really have much to say so I know this will be disappointing for those of you who having been biting your nails waiting for my fascinating posts. I do have a lot of pictures and videos that I hope to upload…but for now I will give you all a heads up for my next big journey…
So if you didn’t already know, right now I am in Apia staying in a hotel. I have hot showers and air conditioning and access to the internet. All of us in 83 keep telling each other they are buttering us up for what about to happen next.
Saturday I leave for the training village. There are four training villages and they are all right next to one another. There will be 5 volunteers assigned to each village along with a language instructor. We will each be living with a host family where we will have our own room, but like I have said before the idea of privacy is not practiced here. The goal of the training village is to integrate with the community and learn from them as much as possible. We have language training everyday and we go into Apia once a week to have full group sessions. I am excited but nervous. Right now it feels like I am in college living in a dorm and surrounded by people who have become my really good friends. On Saturday I will be taking a huge leap out of my comfort zone and stepping into the Samoan zone…
I plan to be open-minded and like sponge, just absorbing everything from my host family and village. Optimism and patience is key for this upcoming experience.
I will not have my computer for the next 8 weeks. So if I am able to get to an internet café on Fridays I will try to upload posts but no pictures. I will have a link to my e-mail on here so feel free to e-mail me with any questions or words of encouragement.




4 comments:

  1. jen! my mom and i loved this post :) we miss you!! especially cause were in amelia island and everything reminds us of you here! (yes, i skipped a week of school) we bought you a sweet headband downtown but then i ended up stealing it. we’ll try to get you a new one before we leave tomorrow. everything sounds/looks amazing. we are so proud of you!

    andddd you look beautiful in your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Princess!! It was great hearing about your week and the pics are awesome :) I am glad you finally posted because remember I am the one who all your followers harass when you do not post! Luv you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shoulder shirt lol (doo)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I GOT HER THAT SHOULDER SHIRT!!! :) i miss you princess jenny. LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete