Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Talofa!

Malo everyone!

I know  a lot of you have been waiting a long time for the first post! It is finally here.
After a amazing weekend with family and friends sending me off I flew to LA on Monday October 4. I met a lot of group 83 and they are all awesome. Tuesday we had staging all day where I met the rest of the group, we were also paired with the Tonga group. Staging was long and intense and I couldnt wait to get on the plane that night! I was struggling a bit with the time change and I knew it would be rough once I got here!
The flight was a long 11 hours. I slept a lot of the way. I was lucky enough to sit next to a native Samoan women by the name of Soli. She has been living in the US for about 30 years but shared memories with me of growing up in her village and the PCV that her family actually hosted.
We finally arrived in Samoa at 6:30am...thats 12:30pm for all you St.Peters. I was exhausted but blown away as soon as a I walked off of the plane and saw the most gorgeous scenery I have ever seen.
We were greeted by PC staff and other volunteers at the airport. We had about a 45 min drive to Apia which is the Capital as well as where our hotel is. We are staying at the Pacifika Inn. It is very cozy and the staff here is wonderful for carrying my 70pound bags up three flights of stairs. We had  no rest time and were thrown right into a ceramony where we were joined by the staff, other volunteers, and some locals. We drank a special drink that kinda tastes like dirty dish water and numbs your mouth. It was a very interesting experience and a wonderful way to be welcomed to the country.
We all recieved our puletasis ( the skirts) to wear for the ceremony. Mine is purple with green and white flowers. We have the most amazing view from our hotel, it looks like paradise and it all still feels so surreal to me.
After the ceremony we had a wonderful lunch provided by the hotel and then it was back to more informational meetings and then language class!!! The language here is beautiful and unique, i am excited to learn but it will be a challenge. We are broken up into small groups of 5 and my language teachers name is Onofia. He is amazing and very helpful but intense. He will make sure I learn as much as I can! After language class we had a short coffee and tea break and then we had another presentation on money and bank accounts and cell phones. We recieved walk around money as well as enough to purchase a cell phone . The plans are cheap and pay as you go kinda thing. I am finally on a break before dinner which we are eating roasted pig!!!
It is quite a culture shock being here but I am already having the most amazing time. I hope to get up some pictures before my internet time runs out!!!

Tofa

PS...my samoan name is Sene :)

13 comments:

  1. Sene ;-)
    That is awesome!!! I cannot wait for pictures. I'm so excited for you! And you better believe I'll be checking this everyday... you know I'll be your biggest blog fan. Ha! How is the food? Specifically, the roasted pig? Are you getting out of your comfort zone even more? You've come a long way since chicken fingers for every meal. Do you stay in this hotel for 3 months? Okay.. those are all my questions. I love and miss you so much.
    Love,
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sene...shouldn't it be Princess Sene?
    I am so jealous of you. I have to be honest, it truly did not hit me that you will be gone for two years untill I REALLY said goodbye to you Sunday night. Again, I am SO happy you and I have gotten so close. You keep me grounded more than anyone I know.

    Sounds like you are off to a great start! That drink you described sounded a little different than the happy hour sangria they serve at cantina. I know you will adjust :)Maybe...

    I love you and miss you! Stay safe! Going to TBT today to pick up Margo...I may cry when I walk in and you aren't there.

    <3 always, Tay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh Jenny (or should I call you Sene) I'm so excited you wrote a blog post! It's amazing to me that we all get to vicariously live through your experiences via the blog...it's like reading an ever changing awesome adventure, except it's someone we know and love. :) I'm so glad that you're throwing yourself 110% into it!! I think you should bring the dirty water drink recipe back with you, it'd be a hit. ;) Answer all of KP's Q's for us, haha. Love you so much!!!!

    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  4. i’m reading this while in BORING class and i’ve decided i’ll just live vicariously through your life for the next two years. thats okay, right? everything sounds amazing so far<3 youuuuuu

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny....I love this blog and I LOVE YOU!!!!!! I am so happy you are doing this, so it gives us all a chance to keep up with your life. It sounds so exciting! Its something I wish I had the balls to do. You are amazing and Im so proud of you!Keep the posts coming and pics too! love you, and I promise you I am praying for you!

    Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Dear Cousin Sene,
    Congratulations, your blog just joined the ranks of Facebook, PerezHilton, CNN and any other website I read daily to avoid actually doing any work when I come in.

    Your post just made me so jealous as i am currently reading it in my 8'x11' office with a small but lovely(read: ugly) view of Downtown Tampa. Put up some pictures so i save your everyday view as my desktop background and pretend I'm there too! I love you and miss you so much already...but I'm so happy you're getting to experience this!!

    This blog is amazing. This place sounds Amazing. YOU are amazing!

    Love in AOT (ya i said it).
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  7. how do you know what dirty dish water tastes like? :) i love you princess


    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  8. SENE!

    i am so jealous of the paradise that you live in, when the rest of us are stuck here in the real world, working every day. so glad you have started to blog, i was wondering how your first day went! i can only imagine how amazing it is over there and how much you are already learning.

    im shocked that you tried that drink, but hey, u drink that weird green stuff that looks like the grass that cows graze in, so im sure it wasnt too far off! and the pig? lol

    well i am so so so proud of you and miss you more than you know! glad you are loving it so far, hopefully within the 2 years i will be able to come see how beautiful it is for myself!

    love love love you! staci!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soak it all up, each and every moment. Your doing what we should all be doing!! Keep us updated. I will be checking everyday too :) xxxooo Love YOU

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer, Jenny, Jen, Mini, Princess and now Sene!

    We are so excited to hear about all the amazing things you are already experiencing in Samoa. I look forward to checking the blog daily. When you mentioned the drink they gave you, the only thing I could picture was the facial expression your mom would have made if they handed it to her..lol

    All is well here. We love and miss you. Post pics soon :)
    Love, Your Favorite Aunt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sene,
    AHHH!!!!! I AM THE LATEST TO LOG IN AND NOW ITS A FAVORITE. I lost the paper, but do not worry I am found. This is amazing. I am so jealous of you. Serviously. I am so bored at home without you. :) It sounds like you are having an unbelievable time. I cannnnooottt wait to see pictures. Please post them soon. I LOVE YOU x1000000000000000000000 and im very proud of you!

    Madzy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jenny its Doo.

    Just wanted to know what my name means in Samoan. We all love u and miss u. I will take purple monkey to the meet next weekend and keep you posted on my scores. My mom will splurge and text u the scores..lol

    Love DOO.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought of you Sunday while watching the Amazing Race - the teams were in Ghana and the school children (soo cute) were laughing at them because their task was to find Ghana on a map of Africa to get their next clue and most couldn't. I guess we should look up Samoa on a map, since I wouldn't be able to find it if someone asked! Sounds like you are settling in quickly. Here's some questions -what has the temp been(perfect?) Have you seen any unusual birds or animals (or bugs...ick)? ....stay safe and happy.

    Love, Tina and Scott

    ReplyDelete