Friday, October 8, 2010

Things I forgot (October 7 2010)

Last night I bought one hour of wireless time, it was not enough to do what I wanted and talk about everything for my first experience in Samoa. I was given the brilliant idea to type all of my blogs or e-mails before on a word document and then all I would have to do is copy and paste!
I am not on the internet right now so I am not sure what exactly I talked about last night. I want to mention a few things about the bus ride from the airport to Apia. First of all, they drive on the other side of the road here which is interesting because they decided to switch to the opposite over a year or so ago. I got to see a lot of different styles of homes and lots of different schools and beautiful churches. It was interesting to see the public buses. They were all full to the max and apparently if there are no more seats available, people offer their laps to you. Yes, I may have the opportunity to sit on a complete strangers lap. I current volunteer told me you get used to it after a couple times.
The morning ceremony we had yesterday was called the Ava ceremony, which is also the name of the drink that we were all given. Last night the dinner was INCREDIBLE!!! We had a whole roasted pig and lots of authentic Samoan side dishes. There was potatoes and fish and coconut milk cooked in Taro leaves. I tried bread fruit, which doesn’t have much taste as well as taro which tastes like a undercooked potato. Each dish was full of different flavors and all so filling. For all those who think I am a picky eater…think again!!! J
After dinner, most of group 83 met up with some members of group 82 and 81. They gave us so do’s and don’ts and some things to look forward to. The bar was very similar to the ones back home and played American music and even had pool. One big difference is that it closed at 10pm, which was okay with everyone because we all needed a good night sleep for today. Around 10:15 we all took the scenic 5 min walk back to our hotel and finally got to bed.
Today I woke up feeling refreshed and ready for the days events. Breakfast was served at 7:00 am, which consisted of fresh mango, bananas and toast. We started promptly at 8:00 with a quick ice breaker and then a presentation of what to expect during training. We had a tea break around 10:00 and started another presentation on our goals and expectations for training. We all had very similar goals, expectations and fears. Learning the language was high on everyone’s list. We took a break to play 7’s ( the game most of us know as buzz) and only made it to 27. Our goal was 50 but that might have taken all day. We had a lunch break around 12 where I was able to speak with my mom, although there was a delay and hard to hear at times, but it was nice to hear her voice. Fellow PCT (peace corps trainee) Lindsey and I were set to do some currency exchange before eating but then realized we had no idea where to go after wondering around. Once we realized we were out of time we went to the food market next store to grab a quick lunch where we found some no name brand of ramon noodles. Not the best choice after hearing what other people had for lunch.
The rest of the day was filled two more sessions, one about medical issues and another about safety procedures. There was another tea break separating the two. We are finally finished for the day so we are able to do our own things. Karen and Dave (married PCTs) offered to cook dinner for everyone. We all just had to chip in 10 tala…which is around 5USD. Not quite sure what they are preparing for us but I hear dave is a amazing cook.
Another long day tomorrow but I will be excited for Saturday! We have the day of and are planning to go into the center of town where they have many markets and things to see. I am also excited to buy some fabric to get some Puletasis made! Sunday is white Sunday and is a church day in honor of children.
I hoping to be able to add pictures on here so everyone can see a little bit of what it is like here!

Tofa!

7 comments:

  1. Princess!!!

    So great to read your blog and hear about all the new and intersting stuff you are doing. It sounds absolutely amazing!!! Dad misses you and loves you and wants me to tell you this. Give him some time and he will be commenting on his own :) All the new foods sound wild and I am feeling like I would totally fit in, right ? You know how adventurous I am with food, I would be all over that :0 Love you and talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see your mom eating the different foods and sitting on a stranger's lap....NOT. Everything sounds so wonderful. Believe me when I say that lots of people here are praying for you and what you are doing. Even Coach Mac brought it up at the SPCHS game last night. Enjoy your new experiences and we look forward to your post.

    Love you...Uncle Tim and Aunt Delma

    ReplyDelete
  3. JENNY! Your call yesterday made my whole week!!!! I miss and love you more than you know! I'm anxiously awaiting your pictures (esp. food and scenery and you)... lets get on it! lol don't forget to email me the instructions for the phone thing so I can call ya ;)

    PS- the Rays won last night (6-3), the Gators lost (happy?) and FSU beat Miami (21-0)! Thats your sports update for the weekend... any other teams I'm missing that you care about?

    XOXO, Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep updating everything. I love reading everything your doing and feel like a part of you PC journey. post some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LITTLE SENE :)
    I this is so exciting. I absolutely love reading these. PLEASE POST MORE SOON. How often can you go online? I saw that you posted that you paid of internet session. Send me an email and tell me how to call you. YOUR TEXT MADE MY DAY! I am going to correct Kristine :) because these are VERYYY important numbers. lol, THE GATORS LOST, :) FSU WON 45-17!!!!!! and the rays won on saturday, they ALSO WON TODAY! which means we are headed into game 5 on TUESDAY here back in St. Pete. I am going to be cheering EXTRA LOUD for you. do you like my random capital letters??? Your friend is smart who told you to write and post every night. That is really cool. I am so excited that you are having a blast. I have been checking flights daily, even for a year out, and the minute I see one that is affordable, I am booking it! miss you. tons. how did you get a samoan name? thats pretty cool. I need to figure out how to get a name on here. I don't know what Im doing. shocker. hahaha LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. im assuming the post above is madz... if u find tickets, u better book my flight too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PRINCESS SENE! It was so good to hear from you last night for a short while. I love reading your blogs and hearing about all your new adventures. Your so lucky and I am so proud of you. PJ is in my care and we are going shopping for a Samoan outfit for her soon, she misses you too lol. Keep putting up pictures and videos, its so good to hear your voice!! I miss and love you so much! Talk to you soon. Oh, and btw, Rays won 2 games in the playoffs so its tied right now. haha just thought I would keep you posted on whats going on over here! Hope to talk to you soon! LOVE YOU!

    LOVE YOUR FAV CUZ ;)

    ReplyDelete